The Institute of the Franciscan Sisters of Mary was founded by Mother Mary of the Passion in 1877 in Ootacamund, South India. The congregation is universal, called to respond to the needs of the suffering poor without distinction of caste or creed. Mother Mary of the Passion was a light, a guide, a comforter. She was far sighted; seeing the suffering and misery of the poor in this country, she was determined to sacrifice her life for the poor. She knew one of the best ways to improve their lot was through education, especially of the girls and women who were badly neglected. In keeping with her ideals for the development of the less privileged, the Society of the Franciscan Sisters of Mary ventured into opening St. Norbert’s Convent, in Jabalpur in 1934. And later on in the year 1980 another convent Deen Bhandu Dham was opened in Ghuttas, Mandla District to live amidst the Tribal families and serve them particularly in the field of health care.
Right from the beginning the members of the Society of the Franciscan Sisters of Mary at Jabalpur have been working very hard with zeal and dedication to achieve the aim of their Society in the field of education and development of the marginalized. While some members aim at the development of the young girls directly through education, other members reach out to the needy by visiting families in the neighbourhood. A few retired and old members who reside at St. Norbert’s Convent, Jabalpur are also very conscious about their commitment and that they meet, listen and give guidance to the parents and others who come into the campus.